Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They are gluten free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibers and antioxidants. Studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits. These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and reduced of heart disease.
Here are 8 evidence-based health benefits of eating oat and oatmeal.
- Oats are incredibly nutritious, are rich in carbs and fiber and they also contain more protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Oats are high in the soluble fiber beta-glucan, which has numerous benefits. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increase feelings of fullness.
- Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol and protecting LDL cholesterol oxidation.
- Oats can improve blood sugar control, it may improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar levels.
- Oatmeal is very filling and may help you lose weight.
- Oat may help relieve constipation.
- Oatmeal benefits men’s sexual health, it contains the amino acid arginine, which improves the effect nitric oxide has on reducing stiffness of blood vessels and helping with erections.
- Finely ground oat may help with skin care. It helps treat dry and itchy skin and may help relieve symptoms of various skin conditions including eczema.
Half a cup (78 grams) of dry oat contains 51 grams of carbs, 13 grams of proteins, 5 grams of fats and 8 grams of fiber but only 303 of calories.healthline.com
How to incorporate oats into your diet.
You can enjoy oats in several ways, here is a very simple way to make oat bread
- ½ cup of oat flour
- ½ cup of water
- A pinch of salt
Combine ingredients all together until you get a pancake texture. Pour some on a skillet until it comes out dry then flip it. Top as desired.